In 1972 Naomh Mairtrin recorded a fine victory in the final of the Division 2 championship against Hunterstown Rovers. Before that they dispatched Westerns in the semi-final.
The team of 1972 was; Jim Crilly, Ollie Smith, Paddy Briscoe, H McKeever, Pat Branigan, Paudge Crilly, James Mullen, John Mullen, Nicky Morgan, Paddy Sullivan, Bartle Gordon, Kevin Morgan, Ray Hoey, Kevin Kelly, Nicky Fitzpatrick. Sub: G Fahy

This was a tremendous achievement and was the result of a perfect blend of youth and experience. It also enabled the club to join the junior ranks.

The period between 1973 and 1977 was a lean time on the pitch, but tremendous work was carried out developing the grounds.

Later in the decade Sean McCormack and Paddy Sullivan came on the scene and commenced compulsory training which helped improve the team. The motto was: You must train to play. The new management team had the bare 15 players for the first match in ‘77, in which they beat the John Mitchel’s on a scoreline of 3-12 to 0-6. However, Naomh Mairtin fell at the first championship hurdle against Naomh Malachi.

This particular era coincided with a conveyor belt of young talent emerging from Harestown School under the tutelage of Joe Caroll and much better times were just around the corner.

1978 was a good year for the club, winning the Junior League McArdle Cup at the expense of Hunterstown Rovers in Castlebellingham. A mixture of youth and experience provided the basis for the win, with players from the 1972 side mixed with a number of very exciting young players.

Some of these young players were to make history in the same year by winning the Louth minor championship with Naomh Baoithe, an amalgamation of Monasterboice, Collon and Tullyallen. Jemmy Shevlin was the Monasterboice selector on that team.

That year, with Paddy Sullivan as captain, Naomh Mairtin also won the Walshestown tournament (Morgan Cup), the Monasterboice tournament and the Collon seven-a-side tournament.

In 1979 the junior team reached the final of the championship but were beaten by a very strong Naomh Malachi side in Dromiskin. The minor team also missed out on retaining their championship crown, losing out to Cooley Kickhams in the final.